Executive Committee: Purpose: Ensure board leadership
- Oversee board operations, committees, and risk management.
- Act on behalf of board for on-demand activities and emergencies.
- Evaluation/hiring/supervision of Executive Director.
- Review committee goals and perform committee oversight.
- Oversee long term organizational vision and implementation of Strategic Plan.
- Board Development including board member recruitment, training and plan.
Finance Committee: Purpose: Ensure organizational financial controls
- Review project/grant budgets prepared by staff, to help develop appropriate procedures for budget preparation, and to ensure consistency between the budget and the organization’s plans.
- Support annual organizational budgeting process each fall/winter.
- Report to the board any financial irregularities, concerns, opportunities.
- Recommend financial guidelines to the board, establish a reserve fund or to obtain a line of credit.
- Work with staff to design financial reports and ensure that reports are accurate and timely.
- Oversee short and long-term investments, unless there is a separate investments committee.
- Recommend selection of the auditor and work with the auditor, unless there is a separate audit committee.
- Advise the executive director and other appropriate staff on financial priorities and information systems.
- Oversee any purchase of financial software or tools.
- Support finance goals of the strategic plan.
Fundraising Committee: Purpose: Oversee organizational fundraising
- Work with staff to establish a fundraising plan that incorporates appropriate vehicles, special events, direct mail, product sales, etc.
- Work with staff and volunteers to create annual campaign process.
- Work with staff to identify and solicit funds from external sources including individual donors, corporate donors and organizational partners.
- Create and lead endowment planning effort.
- Take the lead in certain outreach efforts, such as chairing a dinner/dance committee or hosting fundraising parties.
- Responsible for involvement of board members in fundraising, such as making telephone calls and contact to ask for support.
- Monitor fundraising efforts to be sure that ethical practices are in place, that donors are acknowledged appropriately, and that fundraising efforts are cost-effective.
- Support financial development goals of the strategic plan.
Educational Committee: Purpose: Oversee educational activities, membership outreach program and volunteer program
- Work with staff to oversee educational activities for membership and community including but not limited to:
- Camp partnership program
- Business Best Practices
- Building Professional (architects, contractors, etc) Outreach
- Annual Training Activities (i.e. Project Wet, Burns, Invasives, etc)
- Water Testing Program
- Waters Edge Demonstrations.
- Evaluate educational activities and report out annually.
- Prioritize and oversee long term organizational educational goals that support.
- Organize volunteer program including volunteer recruitment, training, retention and recognition.
- Support educational goals of the strategic plan.
Watershed Protection & Restoration Committee: Purpose: Oversee watershed protection, research and program and project priorities
- Ensure organizational presence and talking points at key advocacy events.
- Oversee organizational watershed protection and preservation plan.
- Prioritize watershed programs and projects according to SEWRPC and other regional plans.
- Ensure membership is aware of opportunities for watershed advocacy and has tools to participate.
- Create good working relationships with local watershed partners to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of overall watershed health.
- Represent the organization in the community.
- Engage additional scientific and academic partners.
- Support the advocacy and scientific research goals of the strategic plan.
Public Relations/Communication Committee: Purpose: Ensure organizational visibility and membership participation through an effective communication plan
- Create and oversee consistent organizational messaging and branding.
- Assist staff with communication tools (press releases, brochures, displays, newsletters).
- Work with staff to create PR Tool Box, Speakers Bureau and training.
- Oversee organizational presentations throughout local and regional community.
- Work with staff to oversee membership and general communication plan (e-blasts, website, Facebook).
- Review and evaluate organizational communication effectiveness annually.
- Support the communication goals of the strategic plan.
Board Development Committee : Purpose: Ensure effective board processes, structure, roles and leadership succession
- Prepare priorities for board composition.
- Support the board development goals of the strategic plan.
- Meet with prospective board members and recommend candidates to the board.
- Recommend a slate of officers to the board.
- Conduct orientation sessions for new board members, organize training sessions for entire board, and suggest new, non-board individuals for committee membership.